Friday, May 25, 2007

Please unDRM iTunes

Record companies and Apple: if you remove DRM from all iTunes tracks, I'll buy music again.

Like many people my age, I have several boxes of cassette tapes stored under my bed. I haven't listened to any of them for over a year and I no longer possess a high quality cassette player (I think my parents may have one that belongs to me at their house, or maybe they sold it). I'm interested in getting digital copies of maybe 10% of what's in that collection -- that's still a few hundred tracks. I could rip the tapes but I don't have the time or patience to do that. Anyway, I'd be willing to go through what's in there and make a list of what I actually want, but I'm boycotting RIAA releases until digital (mp3, Ogg, whatever) releases are available without DRM.

EMI has already said they'll release their collection without DRM. When the other RIAA labels do the same, I'll end my boycott. Don't they want the sales?

Technorati tags: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home